Sessions blasts California after fili...

Sessions blasts California after filing U.S. immigration suit

There are 13 comments on the Reuters story from Mar 7, 2018, titled Sessions blasts California after filing U.S. immigration suit. In it, Reuters reports that:

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions, escalating the Trump administration's rhetoric against the most populous U.S. state, accused California on Wednesday of obstructing federal immigration enforcement efforts and vowed to stop the state's defiance. Attorney General Jeff Sessions speaks to the National Association of Attorneys General 2018 Winter Meeting in Washington, U.S., February 27, 2018.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

Gary Cohnhead s Tariffs

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Mar 7, 2018
"Brown in October signed into law a bill that prevents police from inquiring about immigration status and curtails law enforcement cooperation with immigration officers."
"Sessions said U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents carry out federal law and that 'California cannot forbid them or obstruct them in doing their jobs.'"

The cited CA laws do not restrict the actions of federal immigration personnel. They restrict the actions of state personnel. Immigration enforcement is a federal duty, not a state one. Jeff "Hey Boy!" Sessions has apparently gone Second Battle of Bull Run-jump the shark on us again.
spud

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Mar 7, 2018
Sessions is the best AG since Bobby. California leaves him no choice but to bring the renegade state to heel. California is lucky to be so blessed with natural beauty and resources because aside from that and their exploitation of slave Mexican labor, they haven't accomplished squat. So I understand why taking their slaves away would piss them off, but slavery is no more right than it was in 1860. Screw the California slavers. America first. No amnesty
CHARLIE FOXTROT

Harker Heights, TX

#3 Mar 7, 2018
Read up on Dillon's Doctrine ...
ONLYONETERM

North Augusta, SC

#4 Mar 7, 2018
spud wrote:
Sessions is the best AG since Bobby. California leaves him no choice but to bring the renegade state to heel. California is lucky to be so blessed with natural beauty and resources because aside from that and their exploitation of slave Mexican labor, they haven't accomplished squat. So I understand why taking their slaves away would piss them off, but slavery is no more right than it was in 1860. Screw the California slavers. America first. No amnesty
Remember 1846-1848 THIEVES!!!! California leading the way: Alabama sucking up Trump's cheese!
Gary Cohnhead s Tariffs

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Mar 7, 2018
CHARLIE FOXTROT wrote:
<quoted text>
Read up on Dillon's Doctrine ...
How are these CA actions violating federal laws? There's no federal law saying local police have to question anyone about immigration status. Federal law explicitly says that's the feds' job.

What CA law or action is violating federal laws? Be specific. You must have an idea following your malformed postlet.

Of course you almost never know what's going to happen in court, particularly if a given matter reaches the current, pro corporate, largely theocratic US Supreme Court.
USSR

Wyoming, MI

#6 Mar 7, 2018
Gary Cohnhead s Tariffs wrote:
<quoted text>

How are these CA actions violating federal laws? There's no federal law saying local police have to question anyone about immigration status. Federal law explicitly says that's the feds' job.

What CA law or action is violating federal laws? Be specific. You must have an idea following your malformed postlet.

Of course you almost never know what's going to happen in court, particularly if a given matter reaches the current, pro corporate, largely theocratic US Supreme Court.
The individual state governments do NOT have to aide the federal government when it comes to immigration enforcement. That part is true. However, they may not actively impede federal law enforcement. This is a condition of being a member state in the federal union. Unless The People's Republik of Kalifornistan wishes to secede from the union ( and God I pray they will) then they have no choice in recognizing the fact that federal power is supreme over the power of the state in this matter.
Gary Cohnhead s Tariffs

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Mar 7, 2018
USSR wrote:
<quoted text>
The individual state governments do NOT have to aide the federal government when it comes to immigration enforcement. That part is true. However, they may not actively impede federal law enforcement. This is a condition of being a member state in the federal union. Unless The People's Republik of Kalifornistan wishes to secede from the union ( and God I pray they will) then they have no choice in recognizing the fact that federal power is supreme over the power of the state in this matter.
How is CA impeding federal immigration efforts? I think it's understood that CA is declining to have local police do federal immigration officers' work, as by refusing to inquire about suspects' or civilians' immigration status. Again, how is CA blocking federal immigration authorities' efforts? I think the Justice Dept. is conflating "not helping as requested" and "blocking."
spud

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Mar 8, 2018
Gary Cohnhead s Tariffs wrote:
<quoted text>

How is CA impeding federal immigration efforts? I think it's understood that CA is declining to have local police do federal immigration officers' work, as by refusing to inquire about suspects' or civilians' immigration status. Again, how is CA blocking federal immigration authorities' efforts? I think the Justice Dept. is conflating "not helping as requested" and "blocking."
I do declare. You Rooskies try to twist everything, Qdog. What turned you into such a little bitch? Everify applying to all employment, government assistance and voting. Right now.
Cordwainer Trout

Leitchfield, KY

#9 Mar 8, 2018
Communist Democrats and their anarchist army have the nerve to say Trump obstructs Justice! Arrest Jerry Brown. That'll send the right message.
Abrahamanic Religions

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Mar 8, 2018
spud wrote:
<quoted text>
I do declare. You Rooskies try to twist everything, Qdog. What turned you into such a little bitch? Everify applying to all employment, government assistance and voting. Right now.
You forgot to reply, white supremacist [sic]. What is CA doing exactly to impede which federal law?

Immigration enforcement is a federal function. They have to do it. There are good reasons for local police to have those who might "look" like immigrants be willing to give information to the local police, instead of avoiding the local police. This is why local police around the country do not want to get involved in federal immigration enforcement.

When there's a person of whatever immigration status who has committed some crime that is not a civil violation which the feds are responsible for then the state of CA cooperates with federal authorities. Because it involves a crime. And because that's not exclusively a federal function in such cases.

You're a stupid racist. You don't actually have any facts or reasoning.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#12 Mar 8, 2018
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Communist Democrats and their anarchist army have the nerve to say Trump obstructs Justice! Arrest Jerry Brown. That'll send the right message.
Your wish is my command.

Love,
Heinrich
ONLYONETERM

North Augusta, SC

#13 Mar 8, 2018
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
Communist Democrats and their anarchist army have the nerve to say Trump obstructs Justice! Arrest Jerry Brown. That'll send the right message.
This was probably done by an illegal or perhaps one of your lovely and wonderful legal!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/news/...

Tony Award winner Ruthie Ann Miles is on the mend after being injured in a car accident that killed her 4-year-old daughter Abigail Blumenstein and another child, 1-year-old Joshua Lew.

Two additional unnamed adult victims were also injured in the crash after the driver allegedly ran a red light. The two children were pronounced dead upon their arrival at Methodist Hospital, police said.
RIP

Omaha, NE

#14 Mar 9, 2018
ONLYONETERM wrote:
<quoted text>

Remember 1846-1848 THIEVES!!!! California leading the way: Alabama sucking up Trump's cheese!
Yes! Remember the civilians and soldiers who had already surrendered that Santa Anna murdered. Remember Santa Anna had to be forced to surrender twice. Remember that both Spain and France sold their claims to all American territory North of the Rio Grande to the U.S. before Mexico was even a country. Remember that Mexico sold her claim to all territory North of the Rio Grande after the Mexican American War. No Reconquista!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nancy Pelosi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nancy Pelosi blasts 'the hypocrisy of all peopl... 1 hr BillFartAndSmell 206
News Pelosi criticizes Trump pick to head consumer a... Jun 18 CodeTalker 3
News On Washington: Can the House Speakership Be Sav... Jun 17 General Kabaka Oba 2
News Trump accuses Democrats of protecting MS-13 gan... Jun 16 Annie Oakly 2
News Lawmakers get first look at secret Russia inqui... Jun 13 redneck68 6
News Pelosi scoffs at strong US consumer confidence ... Jun 11 votefordemzinstea... 3
News Schumer Says Trump Not Acting Like an Innocent ... Jun 9 jack cass 47