Analysis: Tax cuts, spending to raise...

Analysis: Tax cuts, spending to raise deficit to $1T by 2019

There are 97 comments on the TheMonitor.com story from Apr 9, 2018, titled Analysis: Tax cuts, spending to raise deficit to $1T by 2019. In it, TheMonitor.com reports that:

In this March 23, 2018, file photo, a copy of the $1.3 trillion spending bill is stacked on a table in the Diplomatic Room of the White House in Washington. A new analysis says President Donald Trump's tax cuts and last month's big spending bill will send the federal deficit toward $1 trillion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TheMonitor.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Watching The Snowflakes Rant”

Since: Feb 17

Location hidden

#2 Apr 10, 2018
Gosh, you mean in two years, Trump is only spending a portion of what Obama blew.........but Trump is getting results. Welcome to conservatism.
Retribution

Bladensburg, MD

#3 Apr 10, 2018
CodeTalker wrote:
Gosh, you mean in two years, Trump is only spending a portion of what Obama blew.........but Trump is getting results. Welcome to conservatism.
103,000 jobs ain't getting results using any matrix after adding $2.8 Trillion dollars to the national debt in Trump's first 14 months..........

Obama's administration generated 17 Million jobs using the March 2009 $850 billion dollar stimulus, using half of that for middle class and small business tax cuts and half targeted to state and local governments for construction projects.
Just Saying

Peabody, MA

#5 Apr 10, 2018
CodeTalker wrote:
Gosh, you mean in two years, Trump is only spending a portion of what Obama blew.........but Trump is getting results. Welcome to conservatism.
Bad results. My possible retirement will need to be pushed off to my 90th birthday at this rate.

There is nothing Conservative about Trump’s behavior of random, ever changing “policies”.

He just blurts stuff out and others who are supposed to be in the know, haven’t been informed.

Trump’s style of governance is Reckless and Hectic.
Aponi

Melbourne, FL

#7 Apr 10, 2018
CodeTalker wrote:
Gosh, you mean in two years, Trump is only spending a portion of what Obama blew.........but Trump is getting results. Welcome to conservatism.
Obama only blew a little over a trillion a year for 8 years 9 trillion and change.
Retribution

Bladensburg, MD

#8 Apr 10, 2018
Aponi wrote:
<quoted text>

Obama only blew a little over a trillion a year for 8 years 9 trillion and change.
Republicans never approved Obama's spending request. You're going to need another Republican delusion.

The Obama debt was a result of Republicans and George Bush looting the US Treasury twice in 02 & 03 with trickle down tax cuts, robbing the United States Treasury of funds which were necessary to pay the expenses of managing the United States.
Donald Duck Von Tramp

United States

#9 Apr 10, 2018
Retribution wrote:
<quoted text>

Republicans never approved Obama's spending request. You're going to need another Republican delusion.

The Obama debt was a result of Republicans and George Bush looting the US Treasury twice in 02 & 03 with trickle down tax cuts, robbing the United States Treasury of funds which were necessary to pay the expenses of managing the United States.
She uses simpleton math. Also Obama cut that deficit in half by his end of terms which blows even her simpleton math out the window.
Kilroy

Abilene, TX

#10 Apr 10, 2018
Obama in 2017 budget was for 672 billion

Trump 2018 budget is for $1.233 trillion.

As a businessman or politician I do not believe Trump will ever get the budget in the billions.
Impeach the Creep

Madison, WI

#11 Apr 10, 2018
CodeTalker wrote:
Gosh, you mean in two years, Trump is only spending a portion of what Obama blew.........but Trump is getting results. Welcome to conservatism.
LOL!!!

You’re even (somehow) worse at finger-counting math than you are at politics.

Bless your heart, cupcake.
Liar in Chief

New Hartford, NY

#13 Apr 10, 2018
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>

Bad results. My possible retirement will need to be pushed off to my 90th birthday at this rate.

There is nothing Conservative about Trump’s behavior of random, ever changing “policies”.

He just blurts stuff out and others who are supposed to be in the know, haven’t been informed.

Trump’s style of governance is Reckless and Hectic.
Trump is the biggest conman to ever set foot in Washington D.C. Let's ask Michael Cohen what he thinks of Trump after being used as Trump's bagman & fixer. If Trump is so honest, if it's a "witch hunt" why does Trump need a fixer like Cohen to take care of his shenanigans?

Before this is over Cohen will deep down wish he never heard Trump's name.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#14 Apr 10, 2018
Aponi wrote:
<quoted text>

Obama only blew a little over a trillion a year for 8 years 9 trillion and change.
Weren't YOU saying awhile back that Obama put OVER 11 Trillion on the debt/ doubled it/ and ran it up more then ALL his predecessors combined.
well IF what you say here is true then how could he have put 11 Trillion or more on the debt?
Have a nice night
Donald Duck Von Tramp

Billerica, MA

#19 Apr 13, 2018
“A balanced-budget amendment is pretty much always a stupid idea. But you know when it’s stupidest? When you’ve just blown a multitrillion-dollar hole in the deficit

After creating historic deficits, Republicans move to outlaw deficits

They’re sometimes called “messaging votes.” Congressional leaders will bring measures to the floor that they have no intention of passing, purely for symbolic and electoral reasons. These pointless votes are generally a waste of time, though they tend to make assorted partisans feel better.

Some messaging votes, however, are more offensive than others.

The House failed on Thursday to advance a constitutional amendment that would require Congress not spend more than the nation collects in revenue. Some conservative lawmakers had hoped a vote on the bill would calm grassroots conservatives who had been fuming about recent high levels of spending.

On a mostly party line vote, Republicans failed to advance the bill, 233-184. Normally, legislation requires 218 votes to win approval in the House and can be passed with just Republican votes. The balanced budget amendment, however, required bipartisan support with a two-thirds majority vote because it was a constitutional amendment.

GOP leaders knew, of course, that this constitutional amendment would fail. More to the point, they voted for it despite the fact that they wanted it to fail.

Indeed, what made yesterday’s vote so exasperating was the backdrop against which it came. It was just a few months ago that Republicans approved massive tax breaks the nation can’t afford, and the Congressional Budget Office reported this week that those tax cuts will wreak havoc on the nation’s finances for many years to come. More recently, Republicans also approved a $1.3 trillion omnibus package that, among other things, increased government spending by hundreds of billions of dollars.

All of which led up to yesterday’s vote, in which Republicans said they want a constitutional gimmick to stop Republicans from passing the kinds of bills Republicans just voted for.

The people who are creating trillion-dollar deficits are the same people who are saying deficits should be outlawed.

The Washington Post’s Catherine Rampell added last night,“A balanced-budget amendment is pretty much always a stupid idea. But you know when it’s stupidest? When you’ve just blown a multitrillion-dollar hole in the deficit, and also, umm, don’t even really plan to pass a budget.”

And why is balanced-budget amendment pretty much always a stupid idea? Because it would bring disastrous consequences for the economy. During the Great Depression, FDR’s and congressional Democrats’ ability to borrow helped save the nation from ruin. During the Great Recession, Obama and congressional Dems embraced the same ideas and again rescued the economy.

In both cases, had the Constitution mandated balanced budgets, the prolonged suffering would have been vastly worse.

If deficit hawks have credible ideas to balance the budget, fine. Let’s hear them. But pushing radical gimmicks, tying policymakers’ hands out of some misguided belief that all deficits are bad deficits, is nonsense.

Bruce Bartlett, a veteran of the Reagan and Bush administrations, explained a while back that this is a “dreadful” idea, which is “frankly, nuts.”

At a certain level, I suspect many Republicans know this, but they linked arms yesterday and voted for the constitutional amendment anyway – not because they wanted it to pass, but because they saw a messaging vote on fiscal responsibility as being preferable to actual fiscal responsibility.
khazars

Sarasota, FL

#20 Jun 13, 2018
add up the cost of subsidizing crime minister Bibi and the zio-fifth column AIPAC.
Donald Duck Von Tramp

Billerica, MA

#21 Jun 14, 2018
Trade war could wipe out gains of GOP tax law, former top Trump economic adviser says

Gary Cohn, who served as Trump's director of the National Economic Council, said that retaliatory tariffs between countries could drive up inflation and prompt American consumers to take on more debt, possibly pushing the country into another economic downturn.
Donald Duck Von Tramp

Billerica, MA

#22 Jun 14, 2018
Donald Duck Von Tramp wrote:
Trade war could wipe out gains of GOP tax law, former top Trump economic adviser says

Gary Cohn, who served as Trump's director of the National Economic Council, said that retaliatory tariffs between countries could drive up inflation and prompt American consumers to take on more debt, possibly pushing the country into another economic downturn.
,“[T]hat’s how cults work. They start off by inculcating some sense of group loyalty, then they are taught to disregard any external source of information … and pretty soon, they have lost any capacity to make independent judgments.”
aponi

Melbourne, FL

#24 Jun 14, 2018
tbird19482 wrote:
<quoted text> Weren't YOU saying awhile back that Obama put OVER 11 Trillion on the debt/ doubled it/ and ran it up more then ALL his predecessors combined.
well IF what you say here is true then how could he have put 11 Trillion or more on the debt?
Have a nice night
you are right I was wrong the number is around 9 trillion shit bird I was mistaken and honest enough to admit it
dufas duck licks knobs

Melbourne, FL

#25 Jun 14, 2018
Donald Duck Von Tramp wrote:
<quoted text>

,“[T]hat’s how cults work. They start off by inculcating some sense of group loyalty, then they are taught to disregard any external source of information … and pretty soon, they have lost any capacity to make independent judgments.”
trade wars can also force nations who are screwing us bring tarriffs down to what thet charge us.

tell me duck if everytime you went to store one that charged you 25 to 300 percent more for you jar of sterno and condoms but the store down the street charged to 15 to 270 percent less which would you deal with.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#27 Jun 14, 2018
aponi wrote:
<quoted text>

you are right I was wrong the number is around 9 trillion shit bird I was mistaken and honest enough to admit it
By the way seeing you did admit it I have to say GFY
and it isn't what you think it stands for Good For You
Have a nice night
Donald Duck Von Tramp

United States

#28 Jun 15, 2018
dufas duck licks knobs wrote:
<quoted text>

trade wars can also force nations who are screwing us bring tarriffs down to what thet charge us.

tell me duck if everytime you went to store one that charged you 25 to 300 percent more for you jar of sterno and condoms but the store down the street charged to 15 to 270 percent less which would you deal with.
What do all these LIES of yours have to do with your Cult behavior?
Annie Oakly

Wilmington, IL

#29 Jun 15, 2018
I don't remember people trying to tell the first black President what to do, and how to do it. We just let him make a mess, and hope the next President could fix it, and he is well on his way.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#30 Jun 15, 2018
Annie Oakly wrote:
I don't remember people trying to tell the first black President what to do, and how to do it. We just let him make a mess, and hope the next President could fix it, and he is well on his way.
" MAKE A MESS" ????? OF WHAT??
Where were you when Obama took over?
Under a rock?
It was GW BUSH that made the mess and it took Obama to get us out of it and that was with OUT any Republican help.
( it is funny how Trump is crying he isn't getting any help from the dems I wonder just how much he would have been crying IF he was Obama when he took office, The republicans were doing everything they could to drive us into a depression and not help Obama at all, just so they could say see what Obama did he drove us into a depression )
IF you remember we were in the mist of the WORST RECESSION EVER when Obama took over and he got us out of it.
Have YOU even looked into just how bad TRUMP is running the debt up?
First of all you have Trumps Tax cut for the rich that is adding 1.6 TRILLION dollars to the debt that the Hard working Middle class is going to have to pay off then add on the yearly deficit and in 8 MONTHS Trump has already run the debt up 855 Billion dollars YES in 8 MONTHS
Obama didn't do that in his 4th YEAR in office ( 690 Billion )
Obama's 6th YEAR in office that was 402 BILLION dollars and Obama's 8th YEAR in office that was 640 Billion dollars
Heck IF Trump keep it going he will run the debt up MORE in his first YEAR then what Obama did in his 6th AND 8th YEARS COMBINED
You really should do a little research before you re post another Republican lie
have a nice day

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Personal Finance Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Munroe takes position promoting renewables 19 hr Joe Jared 15
News Brett Kavanaugh built up credit card debt for b... Jul 14 think 11
News Enough is enough Jul 11 sick of it 1
News Republican leaders struggle to find votes to up... (Oct '15) Jul 9 Hush Limpballs 19
News Our immigration turmoil as seen in my ER: A phy... Jul 9 DrBillCfart 4
News Talk emerges that Hillary Clinton is plotting h... Jul 8 Walter Winchell 4
News Court confirmation process likely to follow Gor... Jul 6 mr gleeble 18