Wth is wrong with lowes employee site?

Wth is wrong with lowes employee site?

Posted in the Lowes Companies Forum

ITW43

Royersford, PA

#1 Monday Dec 4
You can login but their is a lowes logo blocking you from clicking anything. This shit.. just started today. Anytime you scroll down the page the logo follows. Piece of shit,, Lowes site. The technology department of this company is absurd. All they mainly use is Linux computer terminals. They don't even pay for a basic office program. The Linux version of office they use sucks. Only a handful of windows machines are used in the stores. Don't even get me started with the genesis, from the 70s. How they deployed the ipods and spectra link is crap. Using cheap wireless access points through out the ceilings to cover wifi. The fiber optic cables that run to each computer and pos are sloppy. You look under the desks fiber cables are not even ran neatly. The wired desk phones are really old. In my opinion there are not enough surveillance cameras setup for shoplifters. Managers also not coming to the rear exits in time to disarm the alarms. Usually because employees need to go in the back and get appliances out of shipping containers. Exterior door Alarms are tied in with fire alarm panel. The way they have deployed old and new software, hardware ect is crap. They need a new IT hardware software restructure with the technologies in our stores. Don't even get me started on the VPN and ISP that all of this equipment ties into to get out to the Internet and corporate. I just finished college in the IT industry. Looking for jobs ect. On a side note our store was having some computer issues and I asked our SM if he needed help troubleshooting. He said no, long story short they never got it repaired until weeks later. Paid alot of money to have a low level tech (Guy works for his self local) to attempt to remedy the issues. Their is so much at stake with not only the technology side but also other facets of this business.
Roy

Royersford, PA

#2 Monday Dec 4
Alot if the stores are using Dsl from At and T to run the backbone if each stores computer network. DSL is very slow and delivers slow speeds. Even the new bonded DSL technology is not enough to keep up. The stores really need to go with a fiber connection where available. A business grade cable connection in areas where fiber is not available. ATT is rolling out fiber in certain areas of the country. DSL should not be a viable option for big box stores that tie into a corporate computer system. Having that many people on computers,registers I pods does not cut it. That explain why alot of the websites and selling tools are slow. Putting in details and estimates are very slow for this very reason. Not to mention the main servers that run these sites are bandwidth limited.
Jay12

Royersford, PA

#3 Monday Dec 4
Anyone know what's in the computer rooms of these stores? What kind of servers ect?
lowes

Roanoke, VA

#4 Monday Dec 4
1980s high tech server racks
Billy Bob

Mooresville, NC

#5 Monday Dec 4
Jay12 wrote:
Anyone know what's in the computer rooms of these stores? What kind of servers ect?
I work fulltime in the back computer room. I have a land line and a dial up modem. I am constantly having to redial and reset everything. Keeps me working though. I make 48,000 a year dialing a phone. Our store has AOL. thank you Lowes!!!
LOWlowes

Royersford, PA

#6 Tuesday Dec 5
Billy Bob wrote:
<quoted text>

I work fulltime in the back computer room. I have a land line and a dial up modem. I am constantly having to redial and reset everything. Keeps me working though. I make 48,000 a year dialing a phone. Our store has AOL. thank you Lowes!!!
I bet you do pal. Are you Indian also? Thank You come again.
Kris Kringle

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Tuesday Dec 5
Google chrome and Firefox do not work. Use only internet explorer and it will work. I just figured this out this morning.
ayeeeee

Jewett City, CT

#8 Tuesday Dec 5
Jay12 wrote:
Anyone know what's in the computer rooms of these stores? What kind of servers ect?
Horribly outdated servers tied into a satellite network.

I always thought it was hilarious that the stores are entirely wired with fiber to run a text based program from 1970. Because the fiber optics will make it go faster, right?
Psi

Bean Station, TN

#9 Wednesday Dec 6
ayeeeee wrote:
<quoted text>

Horribly outdated servers tied into a satellite network.

I always thought it was hilarious that the stores are entirely wired with fiber to run a text based program from 1970. Because the fiber optics will make it go faster, right?
Lol. I cant believe they keep investing money on keeping an outdated program. That's like putting money in an old car every time it breaks down.
Drop back and punt

West Salem, OH

#10 Thursday Dec 7
Once again the jerkus circus.
Neveragain

United States

#11 Thursday Dec 7
ITW43 wrote:
You can login but their is a lowes logo blocking you from clicking anything. This shit.. just started today. Anytime you scroll down the page the logo follows. Piece of shit,, Lowes site. The technology department of this company is absurd. All they mainly use is Linux computer terminals. They don't even pay for a basic office program. The Linux version of office they use sucks. Only a handful of windows machines are used in the stores. Don't even get me started with the genesis, from the 70s. How they deployed the ipods and spectra link is crap. Using cheap wireless access points through out the ceilings to cover wifi. The fiber optic cables that run to each computer and pos are sloppy. You look under the desks fiber cables are not even ran neatly. The wired desk phones are really old. In my opinion there are not enough surveillance cameras setup for shoplifters. Managers also not coming to the rear exits in time to disarm the alarms. Usually because employees need to go in the back and get appliances out of shipping containers. Exterior door Alarms are tied in with fire alarm panel. The way they have deployed old and new software, hardware ect is crap. They need a new IT hardware software restructure with the technologies in our stores. Don't even get me started on the VPN and ISP that all of this equipment ties into to get out to the Internet and corporate. I just finished college in the IT industry. Looking for jobs ect. On a side note our store was having some computer issues and I asked our SM if he needed help troubleshooting. He said no, long story short they never got it repaired until weeks later. Paid alot of money to have a low level tech (Guy works for his self local) to attempt to remedy the issues. Their is so much at stake with not only the technology side but also other facets of this business.
It's working now
Boo2812

Middletown, OH

#12 Thursday Dec 7
I've had no trouble whatsoever with the site all week.

Since: Feb 17

Location hidden

#13 Saturday Dec 9
You said "don't' get me started" twice. Hey, don't get started.

Since: Jun 17

Location hidden

#14 Sunday Dec 10
ITW43 wrote:
You can login but their is a lowes logo blocking you from clicking anything. This shit.. just started today. Anytime you scroll down the page the logo follows. Piece of shit,, Lowes site. The technology department of this company is absurd. All they mainly use is Linux computer terminals. They don't even pay for a basic office program. The Linux version of office they use sucks. Only a handful of windows machines are used in the stores. Don't even get me started with the genesis, from the 70s. How they deployed the ipods and spectra link is crap. Using cheap wireless access points through out the ceilings to cover wifi. The fiber optic cables that run to each computer and pos are sloppy. You look under the desks fiber cables are not even ran neatly. The wired desk phones are really old. In my opinion there are not enough surveillance cameras setup for shoplifters. Managers also not coming to the rear exits in time to disarm the alarms. Usually because employees need to go in the back and get appliances out of shipping containers. Exterior door Alarms are tied in with fire alarm panel. The way they have deployed old and new software, hardware ect is crap. They need a new IT hardware software restructure with the technologies in our stores. Don't even get me started on the VPN and ISP that all of this equipment ties into to get out to the Internet and corporate. I just finished college in the IT industry. Looking for jobs ect. On a side note our store was having some computer issues and I asked our SM if he needed help troubleshooting. He said no, long story short they never got it repaired until weeks later. Paid alot of money to have a low level tech (Guy works for his self local) to attempt to remedy the issues. Their is so much at stake with not only the technology side but also other facets of this business.
Anyone who knows anything about software, hardware and servers know, like you, ITW43, this cobbled together Lowe's IT infrastructure is a disaster on standby meltdown and could go down at any time. It's no longer fully functioning. Just hobbling along as various IT people patch problems as they arise.

It's possible they just got some bids on replacing this pile of junk (including phones) and that's the impetus to all this laying off and firing of associates. Multi-millions in $$$$$!

Nothing is seamlessly paired with any other module presently. They've got to pare down costs big-time to pay out the kind of money to just keep on going with their omnichannel wet-dream and replace the entire bloody mess before having to put "STORE CLOSING" signs up. They're reached 'critical mass' as far as their out-dated technology is concerned.
Guest User

Bronx, NY

#15 Sunday Dec 10
ayeeeee wrote:
<quoted text>

Horribly outdated servers tied into a satellite network.

I always thought it was hilarious that the stores are entirely wired with fiber to run a text based program from 1970. Because the fiber optics will make it go faster, right?
Fiber is the only network technology that goes the distance. Twisted pair is limited to 328 feet and that's pushing it.
Guest User

Bronx, NY

#16 Sunday Dec 10
SnackyPuddin wrote:
<quoted text>

Anyone who knows anything about software, hardware and servers know, like you, ITW43, this cobbled together Lowe's IT infrastructure is a disaster on standby meltdown and could go down at any time. It's no longer fully functioning. Just hobbling along as various IT people patch problems as they arise.

It's possible they just got some bids on replacing this pile of junk (including phones) and that's the impetus to all this laying off and firing of associates. Multi-millions in $$$$$!

Nothing is seamlessly paired with any other module presently. They've got to pare down costs big-time to pay out the kind of money to just keep on going with their omnichannel wet-dream and replace the entire bloody mess before having to put "STORE CLOSING" signs up. They're reached 'critical mass' as far as their out-dated technology is concerned.
Agree totally, we need voip phone and graphical register software. We could niblocks bonus to fund it all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lowes Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Manager meetings 14 min hohohohohoho 1
Best work shoes for concrete floors & Lowes 19 min FSA 9
service Manager rotation 30 min Oobie Doobie 3
Rough Draft of the schedule 38 min Oobie Doobie 6
PSE positions future 42 min LowesBot 2
2801 Is burning!!! 4 hr truleefukt 14
Store managers should be worried 4 hr Guest 72
Amazon looking into buying Lowes 12 hr Boo2812 15
CSA 5 Extension 21 hr Oobie Doobie 134
Pros and Specialist are next. Fri abc 79
More from around the web