Since: Jul 17

Location hidden

#1 Jan 3, 2018
Several at Team Overseer were suggesting that a big problem with Ashland government is the lack of accountability due to commissioners not being elected by districts.

In many many cities, these positions are elected within a geographic district to serve that particular district. The voters vote only for those running in their district and the elected commissioner is then held accountable for the needs of their particular constituents. In other words, you know who is responsible for your area and you can specifically vote them out if they are not meeting the needs of your particular community.

There was pretty much a consensus that districts were far preferable and created more diversity than the current method of electing commissioners as it creates accountability to voters, understanding by voters who to reach out to for assistance, and tends to break up blocks of candidates from similar social groups, economic groups, or geographic areas.

We were told that this was the way it "used to be" in the past but it must have been way before most of the Overseer's recollection.

What do you think citizens? A mayor elected by all voters but four commissioners elected from specific geographical areas to improve diversity, add broader based knowledge of community needs, and provide accountability?

It should go without saying that the commissioners from each district would keep in mind the good and welfare of the entire city but must account for their official votes and actions within their own districts.
Just wondering

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Jan 3, 2018
Ashland Overseer wrote:
Several at Team Overseer were suggesting that a big problem with Ashland government is the lack of accountability due to commissioners not being elected by districts.

In many many cities, these positions are elected within a geographic district to serve that particular district. The voters vote only for those running in their district and the elected commissioner is then held accountable for the needs of their particular constituents. In other words, you know who is responsible for your area and you can specifically vote them out if they are not meeting the needs of your particular community.

There was pretty much a consensus that districts were far preferable and created more diversity than the current method of electing commissioners as it creates accountability to voters, understanding by voters who to reach out to for assistance, and tends to break up blocks of candidates from similar social groups, economic groups, or geographic areas.

We were told that this was the way it "used to be" in the past but it must have been way before most of the Overseer's recollection.

What do you think citizens? A mayor elected by all voters but four commissioners elected from specific geographical areas to improve diversity, add broader based knowledge of community needs, and provide accountability?

It should go without saying that the commissioners from each district would keep in mind the good and welfare of the entire city but must account for their official votes and actions within their own districts.
Would the commissioner have to live in the district they were running for? That would mean each commissioner would do their best to take care of their district so they would never get voted out of office.

Since: Jul 17

Location hidden

#3 Jan 3, 2018
Cities that elect in districts do require the commissioner to live in the district they seek office.

Yes, I would hope they would do their best for their district so they won't be voted out of office. Each district has someone responsible to them and, hopefully, working hard to meet their needs instead of certain geographical or socio-economic groups "over" representing the needs of an elite few (as now often occurs).

The good of the sub-parts are good for the all of the city. The way it is now, no voter knows who to blame if their neighborhood/community needs don't get met. As it now stands, all four commissioners can live in the same neighborhood or represent the same interest group (such as downtown business). Districts ensure all city voters have a voice and a seat at the table.

Candidates currently tell you that "they represent the whole of Ashland" but if you analyze it, they don't. Each currently has their own niche group of supporters such as business, city workers, social groups, business groups, personal job opportunities, etc. and each wants something in return for their support.

Accountability to constituents is always a good thing. Diversity of talents, opinion, solutions, and community is also always a good thing.
peeons and peasants

United States

#4 Jan 4, 2018
good idea but....I didn't vote for gute but got him anyway....remember the street paving last summer he lives on ?I,ve walked that street last summer before it was paved.it was in great shape but he had a house for sale about then .so the one truth is those who don't live on his street and streets in very close proximity still may not be fairly treated .not me ,,I at this time don't need anything ,but a politican who spends tax payer money on something not needed is a legalized thief !I wonder what roll the health dept.is playing with our tax dollars nothing is being reported on from them. I appreciate this site you have set up !!!!
Shake it up

Ashland, KY

#5 Jan 4, 2018
There is a lot I pay for that I don't want and a few things, like water, that I want but sporadically get.

Gutes also the only Commissioner that takes the medical insurance from the city that costs us over $20,000 a person through city self insurance.

The other post said it all. Reign in the donations to museums, libraries, hotels, parking lots, PIO's, etc. and fix the basic infrastructure. Why didn't they do some of this repair over the years on an orderly logical basis? We used to have lots of business and money but this wasn't addressed. The reason is because it isn't a trendy or visible expenditure and won't help them as much being re-elected.

There does need to be more diversity of representation regarding ability, education, demographics, and geographic location.

We know what ideas we are going to get when all the commissioners slobber over BA, AIM, Downtown business, etc. We draw from the same group. Different faces, same stale rhetoric and poor management.

Gotta Change

United States

#6 Jan 13, 2018
Ashland Overseer wrote:
Several at Team Overseer were suggesting that a big problem with Ashland government is the lack of accountability due to commissioners not being elected by districts.

In many many cities, these positions are elected within a geographic district to serve that particular district. The voters vote only for those running in their district and the elected commissioner is then held accountable for the needs of their particular constituents. In other words, you know who is responsible for your area and you can specifically vote them out if they are not meeting the needs of your particular community.

There was pretty much a consensus that districts were far preferable and created more diversity than the current method of electing commissioners as it creates accountability to voters, understanding by voters who to reach out to for assistance, and tends to break up blocks of candidates from similar social groups, economic groups, or geographic areas.

We were told that this was the way it "used to be" in the past but it must have been way before most of the Overseer's recollection.

What do you think citizens? A mayor elected by all voters but four commissioners elected from specific geographical areas to improve diversity, add broader based knowledge of community needs, and provide accountability?

It should go without saying that the commissioners from each district would keep in mind the good and welfare of the entire city but must account for their official votes and actions within their own districts.
Great idea!!! How about Police, Fire, Public Works.. Like Water& Sewer... Streets& Parks..Admin. Commissioners..
Just wondering

Bladensburg, MD

#7 Jan 14, 2018
All of the jobs you listed with the exception of commissioner are not voted on. Some how I missed your point on why it's a great idea.
Gotta Change

United States

#8 Jan 14, 2018
Just wondering wrote:
All of the jobs you listed with the exception of commissioner are not voted on. Some how I missed your point on why it's a great idea.
If something needed addresssed with the Police then the Police Com. would be accountable. Fire, Public Works, etc. the same.. Would know exactly who is responsible.
Neighbor

United States

#9 Jan 14, 2018
peeons and peasants wrote:
good idea but....I didn't vote for gute but got him anyway....remember the street paving last summer he lives on ?I,ve walked that street last summer before it was paved.it was in great shape but he had a house for sale about then .so the one truth is those who don't live on his street and streets in very close proximity still may not be fairly treated .not me ,,I at this time don't need anything ,but a politican who spends tax payer money on something not needed is a legalized thief !I wonder what roll the health dept.is playing with our tax dollars nothing is being reported on from them. I appreciate this site you have set up !!!!
Mr. Peon, you do realize that street paving is done on a schedule set by the State, don't you? Mr. Gute could not have the street paved even if he wanted to. You don't know what you're talking about and probably should check your facts before reporting on what is really your personal opinion and has no basis in fact.
Tip of the iceberg

United States

#10 Jan 15, 2018
Neighbor wrote:
<quoted text>

Mr. Peon, you do realize that street paving is done on a schedule set by the State, don't you? Mr. Gute could not have the street paved even if he wanted to. You don't know what you're talking about and probably should check your facts before reporting on what is really your personal opinion and has no basis in fact.

Are you really that naive? Does Mr. Gute live on a state Route? No, he does not. Based on the haphazard street repairs I have noticed, I doubt that any commissioner would have trouble getting anything they want paved. Commissioners influence street decisions ALL the time. Mr. Peon is correct.
ChipSeal

Ashland, KY

#11 Jan 15, 2018
Tip of the iceberg wrote:
<quoted text>

Are you really that naive? Does Mr. Gute live on a state Route? No, he does not. Based on the haphazard street repairs I have noticed, I doubt that any commissioner would have trouble getting anything they want paved. Commissioners influence street decisions ALL the time. Mr. Peon is correct.
Actually, I believe if either of you check your facts, the state has nothing to do with paving City streets, also, not positive on this one myself, but the commissioners donít have anything to really do with that as well. I have heard that there is a list of streets compiled by the engineering department which is then submitted to the City manager and then he reviews it and make sure approvals or marking ones off the list that he wants. Again not completely sure of this so either you, Peon or Iceberg, would really need to check into this to confirm, do believe that the sidewalk repair is done in a similar fashion. I have to reiterate that Iím not positive of this fact myself, but have heard that this is the method used, again Iím not claiming to be the ďexpertĒ that you both seem to be, just addressing with what Iíve heard and I know that I could be as wrong as you both possibly are. Something to check out though.
peons and peasants

United States

#12 Jan 17, 2018
me thinks mrchipseal is part of the sewer ,swamp ,kingdom ...you just said that the city engeneer and the city manager were responsible for the paving of a street that didn't need paving!you have just confrmed what this site is saying ! surly the elected powers that be could have stopped that wasteful decision instead of a wink wink ,nod ,nod cause most people wont know anyway !!we really know that the street we refer to is not a state road !!!are you billing the state for that street ???/not an expert just guided by common sense and life experience and f I looks like a duck ,,if it quacks like a duck ,,if it looks like a duck it must be a duck !!!
Iceberg

United States

#13 Jan 17, 2018
ChipSeal wrote:
<quoted text>

Actually, I believe if either of you check your facts, the state has nothing to do with paving City streets, also, not positive on this one myself, but the commissioners donít have anything to really do with that as well. I have heard that there is a list of streets compiled by the engineering department which is then submitted to the City manager and then he reviews it and make sure approvals or marking ones off the list that he wants. Again not completely sure of this so either you, Peon or Iceberg, would really need to check into this to confirm, do believe that the sidewalk repair is done in a similar fashion. I have to reiterate that Iím not positive of this fact myself, but have heard that this is the method used, again Iím not claiming to be the ďexpertĒ that you both seem to be, just addressing with what Iíve heard and I know that I could be as wrong as you both possibly are. Something to check out though.
Well, I saw that Commissioner Perkins is posting on the PIOís City FB requesting certain streets to be salted and plowed. Does the street crew immediately go to those streets? I believe they have a standard route. I bet it annoys the crew that a newbie press secretary is ordering them around, haha. And commissioners. They never look too happy in their forced pose FB pics, even with donuts.
Let city workers do their jobs. They are very good at it.
ChipSeal

Ashland, KY

#14 Jan 17, 2018
peons and peasants wrote:
me thinks mrchipseal is part of the sewer ,swamp ,kingdom ...you just said that the city engeneer and the city manager were responsible for the paving of a street that didn't need paving!you have just confrmed what this site is saying ! surly the elected powers that be could have stopped that wasteful decision instead of a wink wink ,nod ,nod cause most people wont know anyway !!we really know that the street we refer to is not a state road !!!are you billing the state for that street ???/not an expert just guided by common sense and life experience and f I looks like a duck ,,if it quacks like a duck ,,if it looks like a duck it must be a duck !!!
Not part of the ďsewer swamp kingdomĒ as you so eloquently stated, however, if you would re-read what I stated is hearsay, that one would need to check into this to confirm the facts. Also if one knows that the street that they are referring to is not a state road, Why was a statement ipusd involving the State included, sounds as if though someone isnít sure of their facts and then taking backwater about their previous statement. Again check into what statements were made, Iím sure that everything stated here is 100% proof positive and that no one is either wrong or have their facts askew.

Since: Jan 18

Location hidden

#15 Jan 17, 2018
Let's see... new PIO updated the phone list for the city:

Call Perkins for your salt in the winter and David D. if you need your grass mowed in the summer (he will send a truck out driven by Amanda to do chores by using big feeling volunteers that city workers get paid to do).

Call Chris Pullem if you are a buddy of his for CDBG (Chris' Development Buddy Grants).

Call Marty if you want to discuss past sports trivia on a high school level.

Call Perkins for trash pickup. Call Marshall if you need dead body pickup.

Call Amanda if your library book is overdue.

Call Gilmore if you have information on another pension system he might personally take advantage of in Ashland.

Call Ashland city attorney's number if you have a personal or governmental legal problem. They somehow can do both of these in Kentucky (get a paycheck, pension with the city, health insurance, and also can run a private practice).

Actually, call any department for help and one of the commissioner's will take credit for the results or act incredulous if there is a lack of results.

Call a realtor and move away for real results.
JohnQ

Ashland, KY

#16 Jan 18, 2018
When is the deadline for filing names to run for City commissioner? Once all the name are filed will team Overseer publish them with their critique of each on that is running? listing the negative as well as the positive.

Since: Jul 17

Location hidden

#17 Jan 18, 2018
Mr. John Q

Not much in life is certain but you can rest assured that Team Overseer will be comparing and critiquing candidates for commissioner before both the primary and general election.

Last file date according to state election officials for city legislative (city commission) is the last Tuesday of January which falls on January 30th of 2018 and must be submitted by 4:00 p.m.
(you won't find this out by looking at or searching the city web page but I am sure the new PIO is on top of the omission... I mean why would the city inform you when, where, and how to run for city office).

There are four commissioners that must run for re-election so be sure to encourage everyone you would like to see govern the city to make application. It is very important who we elect to spend our money.

There have been many rumors about possible candidates but, until we know for sure, team Overseer will concentrate on attracting candidates to file (not possibly discouraging them by being less than enthusiastic).

You can be sure Team Overseer will have information and opinion on each candidate but voters need to take time to research and form their own opinions of our potential leaders. We believe Ashland is at a crossroads and many of these long term financial decisions will affect our children's children.

Popularity on Facebook, photos at meetings, arm bands, redundant utility problem postings, etc. should have no real bearing on your vote. Think a little broader and ask the question, which of these people has the background, education, experience to run a city government and who do I trust to spend my money to work for the greater good of the people.

It is tough to find anyone in Ashland that meets the necessary qualifications, much less get them to take on the low paying and thankless job of city commission. It usually leaves us with ego driven candidates that aren't there for the people but to fulfill some need in their own lives. It is why the faces sometimes change but the professionalism of city government doesn't improve.

Meet the new commissioner, much like the old commissioner.(or meet the young commissioner, much like the older commissioner).
JohnQ

Ashland, KY

#18 Jan 18, 2018
Ashland Overseer wrote:
Mr. John Q

Not much in life is certain but you can rest assured that Team Overseer will be comparing and critiquing candidates for commissioner before both the primary and general election.

Last file date according to state election officials for city legislative (city commission) is the last Tuesday of January which falls on January 30th of 2018 and must be submitted by 4:00 p.m.
(you won't find this out by looking at or searching the city web page but I am sure the new PIO is on top of the omission... I mean why would the city inform you when, where, and how to run for city office).

There are four commissioners that must run for re-election so be sure to encourage everyone you would like to see govern the city to make application. It is very important who we elect to spend our money.

There have been many rumors about possible candidates but, until we know for sure, team Overseer will concentrate on attracting candidates to file (not possibly discouraging them by being less than enthusiastic).

You can be sure Team Overseer will have information and opinion on each candidate but voters need to take time to research and form their own opinions of our potential leaders. We believe Ashland is at a crossroads and many of these long term financial decisions will affect our children's children.

Popularity on Facebook, photos at meetings, arm bands, redundant utility problem postings, etc. should have no real bearing on your vote. Think a little broader and ask the question, which of these people has the background, education, experience to run a city government and who do I trust to spend my money to work for the greater good of the people.

It is tough to find anyone in Ashland that meets the necessary qualifications, much less get them to take on the low paying and thankless job of city commission. It usually leaves us with ego driven candidates that aren't there for the people but to fulfill some need in their own lives. It is why the faces sometimes change but the professionalism of city government doesn't improve.

Meet the new commissioner, much like the old commissioner.(or meet the young commissioner, much like the older commissioner).
Thank you for your input and information on this situation, do believe as you said; need to take in all factors including opinions of others as well as each candidates alleged platform and knowing/feeling which candidates can do the best for the taxpayers and not just themselves
peons and peasants

United States

#19 Jan 22, 2018
mr.chips here is what I said walters hill drive IS NOT A STATE ROAD.....SOME ONE SUGGESTED THAT MAY HAVE BEEN WHY IT WAS PAVED !!!it did not ned repaving !!!!the question is why was it paved !!some one had to oversee and aprove it and exlaain why when there are many more deserving street problems !but as you know the swamp ,sewer kingdom answers to n one !!!not just d.c. not just state ,it exist every where politicans rule with an iron fist and only themselves ,family and friend are deserving !!!I say a good start is remove pensions from politicans !!some one run on that concept alone and you,d be guaranteed a landslide victory !!that's tax payer money!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ashland City Government Discussion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brian sign at Gibbs Hardware 2 hr Cheap Plastic 5
tif 101 Fri Too Good 2 B True 12
Fat Patty's Leaving Ashland? Apr 19 Grandma Emma 9
Outta Ashland Apr 18 Taxpayer Time 20
Specific Questions Apr 18 Yes 1
Hotel Money Apr 18 peons and peasants 9
Politics ? Apr 17 Braidy Bunch 25

Forum Rules

Please try to provide your opinion in a way that is helpful, insightful, or useful.
Elected officials are open to criticism by nature of the job but please try to limit discussion within their role as public officials and avoid personal attacks.

Please limit topics to those involving Ashland Kentucky city government and avoid national issues.

Topix TOS rules:
Don't spam
Don't post personal information
No child pornography or sexually explicit content
Avoid personal attacks. Keep discussions civil.

Ashland City Government Discussion Jobs

Personal Finance

Ashland City Government Discussion Mortgages